Salubrious teeth are essential to your child’s overall health.
Teeth plays a significant role in how children learn to chew, talk and smile. With healthy teeth children get confidence to participate in their social and education life. So, it’s very important for kids to get started early caring for long term healthy teeth.
According to research, 42% of children develop a cavity in their baby teeth – Why?
Because many parents don’t know at what age they should start brushing and floss their child’s teeth. On the other side many parents are too lazy or busy to teach their kids the most basic and essential dental care routine tasks. It is really a challenging task to teach children to do certain things especially regularly.
Here are few tips to help infants, children and adults to keep a healthy smile:
- Brush your teeth with your kids to show them that practicing good oral health is very important and human basic need to maintain dental hygiene. Your children can get help to learn the importance of oral care by watching and imitating you.
- For 1-3 years, parents should clean baby’s gums with a baby toothbrush by using water only.
- Children 5 years or older think that they can brush and floss themselves. First let them do it themselves and observe whether they are cleaning or hurting gums, then follow up by guiding them in the right way again.
- Let children choose their favorite toothbrush and toothpaste but try to prefer non-fluoridated toothpaste. If they swallow it in a small amount, then you don’t have to worry.
- Parents should know the effect of nutrition on dental health of their children. Always intake calcium-rich food, phosphorus and Vitamin C that promotes strong gum health.
- Pack a traveler toothbrush in your children’s backpack so he/she can brush after lunch while at school.
- Parents should take their kids to the dentist after every 6 months to help prevent cavities and other problems.
In this way, you can take care of your kid’s dental health so that their teeth will grow healthy in a natural way. Also, they won’t face major dental issues in their later ages.
Next, you’ll know how flossing affects oral health in a positive manner.
Why flossing is crucial for dental hygiene?
Flossing is important for oral health such as brushing. Sometimes you are in a rush, do not get time or tired enough to do regular brushing. In these situations, flossing is the best alternative to brushing.
Do flossing specially after a meal because it helps to pick out debris and food that is stuck in between teeth. According to a national poll, 20% of Americans never floss at all and only 4 out of 10 Americans floss once a day. Try to floss in the night after dinner so that the mouth will be clean while sleeping and cleaning between your teeth helps remove plaque as well.
If you are a local or tourist in Bellevue, Washington and looking for the best dental clinic nearby then give your visit to Mint Kids Dentistry. Dr. Soo Jun is the best Pediatric Dentist in Bellevue. She is well-versed in regular dental checkups and emergencies.
Dr Sookyung Jun has accomplished the general practice residency from Harvard School of Dental Medicine and 2 years pediatric dental training from St. Barnabas Hospital in Bronx, NY. She was awarded the Richard C. Pugh Achievement Award for being in the top 3% of the pediatric dental board examination and certified Diploma of American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD).